High-Power PoE Solutions for Harsh Industrial Networking Environments
To strengthen security at one of the UAE’s biggest marine ports, this customer required an intelligent video surveillance system to monitor on-site personnel and cargo. Major considerations were the size of the property, which requires more than 500 PTZ cameras for surveillance, and Dubai’s tropical desert climate, meaning that the customer needed ruggedized managed switches with advanced features and management capabilities so that they could operate in outdoor environments under extreme temperature conditions.
A legacy point-to-point connection was not viable because it would require more cable wiring and electrical outlets, hence, adding more cost to the camera installation. Thus, the customer sought an alternative networking solution that would both simplify the installation of the 500+ PTZ cameras while keeping the cost at the minimum.
- PoE+ solution, providing up to 30 W for high-powered PTZ cameras
- High durability and endurance to protect against weather conditions and environmental hazards at the marine port
- Easy configuration and rapid deployment
- Centralized management software for monitoring network connections and performance
- EKI-7710G-2CPI: DIN rail layer 2 fast Ethernet switch, 8GE + 2G combo RJ-45/SFP ports with PoE+
- EKI-7712G-4FPI: DIN rail layer 2 fast Ethernet switch, 8GE + 4G SFP ports with PoE+
- WebAccess/NMS: Network management software
- SFP-GLX-LCI-10E: Gigabit SFP module, single-mode (10 km), extended operating temperature
- SFP-GLX-LCI-20E: Gigabit SFP module, single-mode (20 km), extended operating temperature
Advantech’s industrial-grade EKI-7000 series of switches were selected because of their PoE+ feature, reliable performance in harsh environmental and weather conditions, and advanced features.
- Each EKI-7710G-2CPI provides power and serves 4~8 cameras per zone
- Each EKI-7712G-4FPI serves 4~8 cameras per zone, has 4 SFP ports, and can connect 2 redundant rings into a group
- WebAccess/NMS monitors the health of network connections; if there is a connection problem, the software can alert the customer via email or SMS with the information on the location and recommended resolution procedures
Benefits and Advantages
- The embedded IXM technology in the EKI-7000 series of switches enables fast network configuration and deployment for hundreds of switches with only one setup procedure, saving a substantial amount of engineering time and effort
- The ruggedized industrial-grade design and wide operating temperature range makes the modules suitable for use in harsh environments
- PoE+ functionality ensures sufficient power for cameras in difficult-to-access locations
- QoS and multicast functions ensure sufficient network bandwidth and efficient video stream transmission with zero data loss
- X-ring redundancy technology provides a secure data protection and backup mechanism
- WebAccess/NMS provides real-time network monitoring, enabling both immediate action for problem resolution and predictive maintenance planning