Building Robust and Reliable Network Infrastructure for the World’s Busiest Airport
DIA required structured cabling infrastructure covering the entire airport to accommodate the high number of IP devices that needed to be installed for passenger information systems, digital signage, security surveillance, and Wi-Fi. Thus, a long-distance network was needed.
- Copper cabling was not a viable option because it would require an equipment room to be installed every 60~90 m. Therefore, fiber cabling infrastructure was adopted, with over 2,000 point-to-point fiber links installed.
- Due to spatial limitations, media converters installed at the endpoints had to be compact yet highly reliable. Media converters with PoE were adopted to provide a power source for end devices.
- To optimize the utilization of space in the equipment rooms, power trays, which were to accommodate fiber–copper media converters, had to be compact in design and provide centralized power inputs.
- IE-PowerTray (P/N:BB-850-13086) : 18-slot AC power Module Chassis support Fast Ethernet and Giga Ethernet , Hot-Swappable
- MiniMc (P/N: BB-855-11623 MM1300-SC) : 10/100 Base-TX twisted pair port Mini Switching Media Converter with LFPT, Multi-Mode, SC connector
- Giga MiniMc (P/N: BB-856-10731 LX-SM1310-SC): Giga Switching Media Converter with LFPT , Signal Mode , SC connector
- IE-Giga MiniMc (P/N:BB-856-18931 SM1310-SC): Industrial Grade Wide Temperature Giga Miniature Media Converter Signal Mode, SC connector
- PoE+ Giga MiniMc (P/N:BB-857-11914 SM1310-SC): PoE+ Giga-MiniMc with LFPT, support Jumbo Frames, Signal Mode, SC connector
*IE-PowerTrays, next to the patch panels convert the fiber lines back to copper lines in the equipment rooms.
- At the end points, standalone converters were adopted to provide flexibility for connecting any IP device. PoE+ Giga MiniMc media converters were the ideal choice for powering PoE cameras.
- IE Giga MiniMc modules were used to connect the ticket machines in the airport parking areas, where an extended operating temperature range was an essential requirement.
Benefits and Advantages
- The compact size and aesthetically pleasing design of the MiniMc media converters made them ideal for installation at the endpoints.
- The embedded LFPT feature enables easy network diagnosis when a fiber cable is broken.
- The PoE+ function of the media converters provides sufficient power for end devices in remote parking lots, which require over 20W of power.
In summary, the diversity and advanced features of Advantech’s media converter offerings made it possible for DIA to find products that were suitable for their various requirements. Furthermore, the airport was able to rely on Advantech’s extensive industrial networking experience and knowledge to successfully build robust and reliable network infrastructure for the world’s busiest airport.